[MPlayer-users] Question about syncing a/v during playback ofVDR recordings.

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Fri Nov 3 17:05:36 CET 2006

VDR User wrote:

don't top post, please

> Now, ...Mplayer & VDR don't have anything to do with each other, which is
> obvious.  However, they both can "playback" a VDR "recording" (ie:
> take a tv
> show recorded within VDR and play the resulting file)...  When VDR
> does it,
> the a/v becomes desynced (happens a lot when the video fades to black).
> When mplayer does it, the a/v sync stays in tact.  Therefore, mplayer is
> doing something that preserves the a/v sync, whether it's intentional or
> not, and VDR isn't.

are you using a FF card (hw mpeg decoder) or some other form of software
plugin?
or a dxr-something?

> I asked a couple specific questions and included some quotes from other
> posts to provide an idea of what we're looking at as the cause.  I can't
> tell you what the exact problem is because we're still trying to
> figure that
> out...  And a good place to start is by comparing the differences between
> the software that has the problem and software that doesn't.  We're
> trying
> to figure out what mplayer does, if anything, with regards to
> repacking, the
> pes layer, pcr data, etc. during the "playback" of a VDR "recording".

nothing particular: the pes packetization is as standard as you can get,
except that IIRC there's a timestamp on every single frame,
rather than once every 0.5-0.7 seconds; this fact alone can make a
lot of difference during playback.
Does the desync that you are experiencing get worse with time or does
it regularly decrease and next increase?