[MPlayer-users] Re: zlib and fontconfig

Nicholas Schell nschell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 02:18:28 CET 2006

On 11/3/06, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> OK, but that must be a bug. What could the authors of fontconfig
> hope to achieve by installing fonts.conf in another directory
> but not looking for it there?

I don't know why either. I can use --with-conf-dir and have it install
anywhere but mplayer will only locate it when it is in /etc/fonts or
wherever I make the src edit to, that is only while a shared lib
though. But who cares about shared libs anymore n_n, we want to get
all this static stuff working! Except for static builds the full path
to fonts.conf is compiled into the fontconfig lib itself. Do you by
chance notice the same thing in your windows build? You can see the
path right in the mplayer.exe with a hex editor (or in
libfontconfig.a), look for fontconfig_path. I wonder if its a windows
only build issue?

Also it seems you can sort of hack the path down to just "./etc/fonts"
in a hex editor, and it seems to work properly and find fonts.conf.
But that just seems ugly for a solution.