[MPlayer-users] Re: zlib and fontconfig

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 4 05:15:10 CET 2006

Nicholas Schell wrote:
>On 11/3/06, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>OK, but that must be a bug. What could the authors of fontconfig
>>hope to achieve by installing fonts.conf in another directory
>>but not looking for it there?
>
>I don't know why either. I can use --with-conf-dir and have it install
>anywhere but mplayer will only locate it when it is in /etc/fonts or
>wherever I make the src edit to, that is only while a shared lib
>though.

I just tried it, and --with-confdir works exactly as expected. Could it be
that you misinterpreted what was happening? Did you remember to re-link
MPlayer when you re-built fontconfig?

>But who cares about shared libs anymore n_n, we want to get
>all this static stuff working! Except for static builds the full path
>to fonts.conf is compiled into the fontconfig lib itself. Do you by
>chance notice the same thing in your windows build? You can see the
>path right in the mplayer.exe with a hex editor (or in
>libfontconfig.a), look for fontconfig_path. I wonder if its a windows
>only build issue?

I configured --with-confdir=./fonts. I see (in vi mplayer.exe):
@FONTCONFIG_PATH^@./fonts
as I expected.
I use Windows XP, gcc-4.1.1, MSYS 1.0.11, fontconfig-2.2.3

>Also it seems you can sort of hack the path down to just "./etc/fonts"
>in a hex editor, and it seems to work properly and find fonts.conf.
>But that just seems ugly for a solution.

In a previous message, you suggested that you could not distribute a static
libfontconfig.a because you could not build it with a relative confdir.
Remember that a relative confdir such as ./etc/fonts is relative to the
calling program's current directory, and not the directory where the program
lives.

This is not very useful, as it forces you to always run MPlayer from a
particular directory. You are actually better off with an absolute path.
It's just that there should be a way for the user to choose the path. Maybe
there is a way, such as an environment variable; I have not really read the
fontconfig docs.