[MPlayer-users] Re: zlib and fontconfig

Nicholas Schell nschell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 17:19:44 CET 2006

Hmmms

On 11/3/06, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nicholas Schell wrote:
> >On 11/3/06, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >But who cares about shared libs anymore n_n, we want to get
> >all this static stuff working! Except for static builds the full path
> >to fonts.conf is compiled into the fontconfig lib itself. Do you by
> >chance notice the same thing in your windows build? You can see the
> >path right in the mplayer.exe with a hex editor (or in
> >libfontconfig.a), look for fontconfig_path. I wonder if its a windows
> >only build issue?
>
> I configured --with-confdir=./fonts. I see (in vi mplayer.exe):
> @FONTCONFIG_PATH^@./fonts
> as I expected.
> I use Windows XP, gcc-4.1.1, MSYS 1.0.11, fontconfig-2.2.3

Interesting, perhaps the difference is in the fontconfig versions we
are using unless that is a really bad typo and you meant 2.3.2 :) ? I
am also on Windows XP using gcc 3.4.5, MSYS 1.0.11 (and the latest
msys.dll updates) with fontconfig 2.3.2. Though when I used
--with-confdir I did not explicitly set it to a local dir with ./ ,
perhaps that is why. I'll give that another go. You didn't really
explicitly state yes or no, do you also get an absolute path in your
static fontconfig builds ?

> >Also it seems you can sort of hack the path down to just "./etc/fonts"
> >in a hex editor, and it seems to work properly and find fonts.conf.
> >But that just seems ugly for a solution.
>
> In a previous message, you suggested that you could not distribute a static
> libfontconfig.a because you could not build it with a relative confdir.
> Remember that a relative confdir such as ./etc/fonts is relative to the
> calling program's current directory, and not the directory where the program
> lives.
>
> This is not very useful, as it forces you to always run MPlayer from a
> particular directory. You are actually better off with an absolute path.
> It's just that there should be a way for the user to choose the path. Maybe
> there is a way, such as an environment variable; I have not really read the
> fontconfig docs.
Well I am going for a distributable mplayer build with fontconfig so I
do need a relative path. Which is why previously with shared
fontconfig using ./mplayer made everything so simple. I can't send out
a build which requires fonts.conf to be located at
"C:/msys/1.0/mingw/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" or any other absolute path,
it just doesn't make sense.