Re2: [MPlayer-users] Problems compiling on macbook

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 20:36:42 CET 2006

Hi,

On 11/18/06, Alexander Wehr <plasmacutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Since both of these are essential for the proper operation of
> >> mplayer,
> >> I have to ask if anyone has a "solution for dummies" a-la this page:
> >
> > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
> >
> > As the news entry that announced RC1 clearly stated:
> > Furthermore we can now run natively on Intel Macs (you just have to
> > pass --disable-win32 --disable-mp3lib to configure),

> What that means is no mp3 support... (and yes, I tried it out after
> making it with mp3lib disabled)

That's strange. Mplayer should fallback to ffmpeg's mp3 decoder.  Try
to append '-ac ffmpeg' to your command line if your file has mp3 in
it.

> I would hardly call mplayer functional on intel macs when the vast
> majority of video and media files have mp3 audio.
> Does anyone have a
> way to fix this, if so can you offer step by step instructions for
> applying the patch?

There's been some very ugly patches to fix this that either were
posted on the -dev list or were contributed by some packager, but
nothing that could be committed to the svn tree.
Sorry

Guillaume