[MPlayer-users] re:mplayer fails when invoked from at command

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Nov 19 04:16:05 CET 2006

Bertie Coopersmith wrote:
> It seems that I need a better explanation of my problem than I gave a few days ago
> If I am to get at least one person - expert preferred - to respond! I'll have
> another go...

Next time, if you have something to add to a previous message, please
use your mail reader's "reply" function so the two messages are grouped
together.

> The following is the mail message sent when mplayer was run via an at command.
> The at command was part of a shell script run by root so this output was mailed to the
> root user. The run failed just as the buffer cache had begun to be initialized:-

Do you really have to run it as root? It's always best to use a normal,
unprivileged user when possible.

> MPlayer 1.0pre8-3.3.6 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Family: 6, Model: 7, Stepping: 3)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
>
> Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.
>
> Playing rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/arts/book_week_fri.ra.
> STREAM_RTSP, URL: rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/arts/book_week_fri.ra
> Cache size set to 640 KBytes
> No bind found for key 'C'.
> No bind found for key 'S'.
> No bind found for key 'l'.
> No bind found for key 'l'.
> No bind found for key 'c'.
> No bind found for key ','.
> No bind found for key 'K'.
> No bind found for key ','.
> No bind found for key 'l'.
> No bind found for key ','.
> No bind found for key ':'.

Your previous message didn't show this output. It looks to me like
something is piping mplayer data on stdin. mplayer interprets the data
as keypresses; maybe one of the characters was the 'q' key and mplayer
quit. I don't see anything in your script that would do this, but
perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

You should try to isolate the problem. People on mailing lists generally
don't like digging through custom scripts to find an error. If you can
post a more specific question, then you're more likely to get help, and
in the process you might figure it out yourself.

-Corey