[MPlayer-users] re:mplayer fails when invoked from at command

Bertie Coopersmith bertie at coopersmith.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 19 21:27:34 CET 2006

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:16:05 -0800
Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

> Do you really have to run it as root? It's always best to use a normal,
> unprivileged user when possible.

Point taken. Maybe I like living dangerously with my home PC!

> Your previous message didn't show this output.

You are referring to a lot of lines like "No bind found for key 'S'."

>It looks to me like
> something is piping mplayer data on stdin.

I've found the way to stop that:-  </dev/null just before the mplayer command in
my ripreal script.
However, mplayer via at still bombs out at the same place as far as I can tell, which
is as soon as it gets to start filling the buffer cache.

> mplayer interprets the data
> as keypresses; maybe one of the characters was the 'q' key and mplayer
> quit.

In view of the above I now don't think that's the correct explanation.

>If you can
> post a more specific question

(1) where in the source does the message "Terminal type `unknown' is not defined."
come from? I have tried grepping in the sources and libraries. I thought it might
be in ncurses but I'm not sure. Note that the same mplayer command when run
in foreground does not output that message.
(2) I downloaded the mplayer sources to do some grepping but actually my mplayer
comes from a Slackware binary package. Should I compile with suitable configure
options in the hope of fixing the problem? If so, what options to try?

Regards, Bertie