[MPlayer-users] Why can't I watch HD videos?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 14:44:18 CET 2006

Hi,

On 11/24/06, Piotr Stachura <albert1 at autocom.pl> wrote:
> Dnia piątek, 24 listopada 2006 12:18, Stephen Mollett napisał:
> > On Friday 24 November 2006 06:51, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> > > One of the best sample sites is this one from Microsoft (WMV HD
> > > Showcase)... The minimum system requirements, based on that page for
> > > 720p's are: 2.4 Ghz processor or equivalent
> > > You have 2.2 and 2.4 is the minimum req for cpu. Your problem probably
> > > lies there...Also...did you compile from source? or installed an rpm? Let
> > > see if others on the list, using your kind of hardware, experience the
> > > same issues you had...
> >
> > Hm, OK. Other people's experiences... I just had a look at some of the WMV
> > HD content on my Athlon XP 3200+ (2200 MHz, 32-bit). CPU usage is typically
> > about 75-80% for 720p content and it plays back just fine; 1080p is, of
> > course, too much for it to handle. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon
> > X850XT using the fglrx driver and -vo xv on 1600x1200-32. The video is
> > being decoded using the ffwmv3 codec.
>
> I agree, but ffwmv3 is SLOW. Using wmv9dmo decoder, on 32-bit mplayer i
> archived ~55%-60% cpu load.
> The content was played on AMD64 3000+ at 1800MHz with GeForce 6600 (nvidia
> drivers).
> They system requirements is based on windowzzz, you should downgrade it a
> little.

VC1 decoding hasn't been fully optimized with mmx/sse routines as
mpeg4 asp or h264 have been.
Actually, it's more optimized for Power PPC than it is for x86 cpus ;-)

Contributions are welcome though.
Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!