[MPlayer-users] Why can't I watch HD videos?

Pepe rvm3000 at ya.com
Fri Nov 24 18:10:56 CET 2006

El Viernes, 24 de Noviembre de 2006 07:51, Jorge Fábregas escribió:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 8:13 pm, Pepe wrote:
> > I got yesterday another HD video, this time an avi: DX50, 1280x720, 4400
> > kbps. This time mplayer doesn't say my sistem is slow, but the image
> > flickers in some parts.
>
> Hello Pepe,
>
> I"m a newbie regarding mplayer but I decided to reply because I was trying
> some HD videos the other days (for the first time) so I went to google and
> searched for it.
>
> One of the best sample sites is this one from Microsoft (WMV HD Showcase):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/oxf5o

I've just got one of those files (Robotica_720.exe, btw I didn't know that
those exe's could be extracted with unzip). I have the same problem I
mentioned before, CPU is 99%-100% and the image flickers.

If I scale it down a little bit to 1024:576 then I can see it perfectly, even
the CPU is still 99%.

> I'm using a 19" LCD (1280 x 1024). therefore I only tried the 720p ones as
> they have a resolution of 1280x720 which fits nicely on my LCD.  1080p's
> are way beyond the optimal resolution of my monitor so I didn't even bother
> with them. I can tell that I played all those HD samples perfectly fine
> (with mplayer 1.0pre8) on SUSE 10.0.  Obviously I had nstalled the win32
> codecs. My machine is a P4 (3.0 Ghz).
>
> The minimum system requirements, based on that page for 720p's are:
>
> 2.4 Ghz processor or equivalent
> 384 MB of RAM
>
> You have 2.2 and 2.4 is the minimum req for cpu. Your problem probably lies
> there...Also...did you compile from source? or installed an rpm?

I compiled from source. I also forgot to mention that my computer has 1 GB of
RAM and I'm using MPlayer 1.0rc1-3.3.4.

Question: my screen is configured to 16 bit color, if I set it to 24 or 32
bit, could the performance improve a little bit? Although that would be more
data to transfer...

--
Pepe