[MPlayer-users] Anyone created an AVI (XviD) using mencoder which plays on stand-alone player?

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri Oct 20 17:05:43 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:52:15AM +0100, Vijay Gill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried creating AVI files using mencoder and XviD as codec, but
> cannot play them on my stand alone Philips Player DVP 630.
>
> Most of the posts I found mentioned about OpenDML which caused
> problems. So I opened one of my AVI's in VistualDub and saved it in
> old AVI format, but still no joy.
>
> When I hit the play button on my player, the player seems to jump 3-4
> seconds at a time in the file but nothing appears on the screen. Then
> it goes back to menu showing list of files as if the last file was
> played successfully.
>
> I am using following profile for mencoder is given at the end of this
> mail, and I have put it in .mplayer/mencoder.conf in my home
> directory.
>
> The versions of various components of my set up are:
> mplayer: latest SVN
> XviD: 1.1
> OS: Fedora Core 5 (with latest updates but running on kernel
> 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 as it is most stable for me)
>

> Source files are mpeg2 files recorded using MythTV 0.20 + PVR 350. The
> version of ivtv driver is 0.70.
>
> And lastly, the files play without any problem on my Linux and Windows
> machines (with XviD codec installed).
>
> Vijay
>
> [xvid]
> profile-desc="Parameters for all XviD encodings"
> ovc=xvid=yes
> xvidencopts=me_quality=6:max_bframes=2:hq_ac=1:trellis=1:quant_type=mpeg:vhq=4:bvhq=1:chroma_opt=1:aspect=4.0/3.0:par=pal43:bitrate=-153600
> vf=scale=512:384

Making avi for such player is not easy, but possible.

Here is the list of requirements, hoping to not forget some.

1) PAR=1
2) max res 720x576
3) profiles equivalent or inferior at DivX Home Theater or MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile Level 5
4) no qpel, no gmc
5) you need to use -vf harddup
6) with -noodml max avi size is 2GB, without -noodml max avi size is 1GB
7) fourcc: DIVX, DX50, XVID. FMP4 NO!
8) Once the avi is ready (tmp.avi) you need to run: mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -forceidx tmp.avi -o final.avi or fast forward won't work.
9) avi with ac3 5.1 played through spdif will have A/V desync. I reported the problem same days ago but got no help about that.

Good luck!
You can find more information here:
http://encode2mpeg.sf.net/html/profile.html

Giacomo