[MPlayer-users] Some problems with -ass subtitles

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 02:51:38 CET 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 04:46, Pepe wrote:
> This is using the -ass option but with srt subtitles, not ssa/ass.
>
> First of all, sometimes the border of the characters is transparent:
> http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/a8dc8f0b73.jpg

Could you give more information on your system, mplayer command line, used
fonts, freetype version, etc. ? Are you using MacOSX by any chance ? A higher
resolution screenshot will also be welcome. It can be done with options
like -vf scale=1280:-2 -ass-font-scale 5.

Also, does this effect go away if you change font or movie resolution ?

> Second, if I expand the image so it's 4:3, the characters look good:
> http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/69a86f859c.jpg
>
> But without the expand they look wider (more width that height):
> http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/f02b610118.jpg
>
> Maybe it's because of the aspect ratio, because if I expand the image more,
> the characters then are taller (more height than width):
> http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/7f678faa20.jpg
>
> Is this right? I think characters shouldn't be wider or taller, following
> the aspect ratio of the video.

Fixed in SVN.

> Other problem is that -subpos and -subwidth don't work.

I'll implement them sometime soon.