[MPlayer-users] xvidix and gui

Mon Sep 4 20:36:29 CEST 2006

Hi The Eye!

 On 2006.09.04 at 18:10:23 +0200, The Eye wrote next:

> > 2) download latest svgalib, configure it and build svgalib_helper
> >    module. Install it (just the module svgalib_helper.ko, no need to
> >    install whole svgalib). Recompile mplayer with svgalib headers, e.g.
> >    by copying svgalib_helper dir to libdha dir. Insert the module and
> >    check permissions, e.g. do
> >    (/sbin/modprobe svgalib_helper; sleep 3; chmod 666 /dev/svga /dev/svga1) &
> >    in your startup script. That's all. The only catch is not to forget
> >    to recompile svgalib_helper after updating the kernel. For latest
> >    kernels (2.6.16 and 2.6.17) you also need to fix svgalib_helper
> >    building problem, patch should be floating around, not really hard to
> >    fix it yourself though.
> >

> tried the svgalib_helper thing. the module can't be loaded, system
> complains "invalid module format".
> that's after downloading the latest svgalib and just using "make" and
> "make install" in the kernel directory there. so I'm kindof at a loss
> right now.

latest, i.e. 1.9.24 or newer?
Yes, make/make install in kernel directory should be enough, but check
it once again step by step. That you have kernel headers installed, that
module is compiled correctly (i.e. with right headers and for your
kernel), .ko file is generated, try "modinfo svgalib_helper.ko", then
"insmod svgalib_helper.ko". Don't forget that you must use gcc of
exactly the same version that was used for compiling your kernel! Also
sometimes the same optimization and target options should be used.
Actually it sounds like that kind of confict to me.

If it still behaves mysterously, try removing all kernel headers/devel
stuff, update your kernel to 2.6.15. Reboot with it, remove old kernel
completely and try to compile svgalib_helper once again. Make sure that
you use same gcc version, i.e. you don't have gcc3 and gcc4 installed
and gcc3 is used for compiling kernel, while gcc4 used for compiling
svgalib.

--

Vladimir