[MPlayer-users] Using Mplayer to verify streaming tv/radio links

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Sep 7 17:15:14 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 08:48:53AM -0500, Donny F wrote:
> Is there an easy way to use mplayer to verify a stream exists?  I am not
> unfamiliar with shell scripting, but I am far from an expert.  If anyone
> could give me a hand with this or give me a push in the right direction I
> would greatly appreciate it!

maybe
mplayer -identify -frames 10
though that will probably play the file till the end for audio files.
mencoder with the -endpos option might be better in that case.
Just as a reminder: You shouldn't consider MPlayer to be free of bugs or
even vulnerabilies, make sure you set it up in a way that won't hurt you
(much) if it crashes/is compromised.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger