[MPlayer-users] IS SMP support for X264 decoding possible

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 23:23:28 CEST 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 14.27, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

> Hi Rich Felker!

>>> Well, dual-core cpus rock modern desktops, and soon four-core
>>> desktops
>>> cpus will come both from intel and amd... /me thinks argument about
>>> beeing "faster" without threads doesn't apply anymore..
>>
>> And I think you're full of it. Unlike idiot windows gamer kiddies, we
>> do not assume everyone buys a new computer every year or even
>> every 10
>> years. 366 mhz is the baseline system for playing dvd now and, the
>
> Sure, but everyone buys new computer because it needs one. Not
> everyone
> has computer right now, you know. And 366 mhz may be enough for
> playing
> dvd, but not for other tasks. If you just want to play dvds, sell your
> computer, buy a dvd player and spend the rest of money ;)
> Of course I don't think anyone would upgrade computer solely for
> playing
> movies at better resolution - but there are a lot of reasons for
> upgrading it. Both for performance purposes (even if user just
> wants to
> have cpu-hungry background tasks not to mess up his movie) and for
> features. Like wanting component HDTV output when there are no video
> cards supporting it that would fit into your computer, or using /
> developing an application that uses more memory than your computer can
> handle, or having reasons for 64-bit system, or wanting gigabit lan
> for
> accessing your remote storage (aka silent hard drive-less system) etc.

Oh lord, I sense a flamewar coming on. Let's see what we can do to
diffuse it.

Whether or not we like Dual Cores, or whether or not they're a good
idea, here's the facts.

Dual Cores are new. "Dual Core" is a buzzword. Intel and AMD are
pushing multi-cores. Their prevalent use is inevitable. People and
companies <3 buzzwords. Dual Cores are the future, and we have to
suck it up.

Now, can we please stop and get back on topic, and remain civil?
Whether or not people are full of something is besides the point,
because we're all probably going to have multi-core systems at this
rate.