[MPlayer-users] IS SMP support for X264 decoding possible

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Sep 20 03:13:59 CEST 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:27:12 +0400
Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:

> Sure, but everyone buys new computer because it needs one. Not
> everyone has computer right now, you know. And 366 mhz may be enough
> for playing dvd, but not for other tasks.

Your opinions and computer purchasing habits, are not shared by
everyone on the planet.  Computers well-below 366MHz are perfectly
usable for a great many tasks, and continue to be widely used.

In any case, MPlayer has long been geared to perform best on low-end
hardware, and that's surely not going to be sacrificed to slightly
improve performance on high-end hardware, or because a couple people
argue for it.

> Of course I don't think anyone would upgrade computer solely for
> playing movies at better resolution - but there are a lot of reasons
> for upgrading it.

There are a lot of reasons not to upgrade as well.

> Try as you might, you won't have low requirements for 1080p or 1080i
> video, unless of course you want to sacrifice all the quality..

MPlayer isn't just for people that want to play HD video...

> Increasing ghz even futher on single-core cpus is stupid, pointless
> and impossible,

There are numerous ways to increase CPU performance, without increasing
clock speed, or adding cores.