[MPlayer-users] Upconverting?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Sep 21 06:22:20 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:23:57PM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
> Tobias Damisch wrote:
> >GP> MPlayer still lacks "fairies" support to invent the pixels in between,
> >GP> needed to get a truly HD picture.
> >
> >Just get latest SVN and recompile with:
> >
> >--enable-fairies
> >
> >Then try adding -vf fscale=1600:1200 (or any other resolution you
> >might desire) to your command line.
>
> I fancy one can't do without 1920x1080. 1600x1200 would be 4:3, this is
> sooo outdated by now :)
> Therefore I propose: -vf fscale=1920:1080

:)

> Still, a filter for more 'vibrant colors' and such stuff (Intel's MMX
> campaign anyone?)

Actually that wasn't such bullshit. Intel's point was that MMX made it
possible to do truecolor whereas before everyone used 8bit palette
mode, because performing an operation on each channel independently
would be slow but doing lighting, etc. with a 256-entry lookup table
was "fast".

> as well as audio-upsampling to at least 96kHz should
> also be added. Not to mention increased time-resolution by outputting
> 50^H^H100 Frames per second, with interpolation of the interlying frames
> of course, no simple frame doubling. And to make it still more
> impressive, just make the sound also louder (still this trick already
> applies for most of the dts tracks over DD tracks, so there's nothing
> new there)

LMAO! :)))))
Especially the dts-bashing.

Rich