[MPlayer-users] seek in .rm files no longer working

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Fri Sep 29 21:54:16 CEST 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:10:35 +0200
Juergen Lock <mplayer-users-l at jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:

> Recently I updated mplayer (I'm on FreeBSD, using the port,
> 	http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/mplayer
> which is at 1.0pre8), and now I cannot seek in recorded rm files anymore.
> Well i can seek, but the video stops after that, I only get audio...
> (Actually, after a while, I get a message `Too many video packets in
> the buffer' and video is played again, but its way out of sync with
> the audio.)
>
> How to repeat:
>
>  record, say, nasatv for a few minutes:
>
>         mplayer -dumpstream rtsp://a1747.l1856745839.c18567.g.lr.akamaistream.ne
> t/live/D/1747/18567/v0001/reflector:45839
>
>  (stop with ^c)  then play it back:
>
>         mplayer -mc 10 stream.dump
>
>  (-mc 10 is needed so that audio and video will get in sync), and then
> while it plays hit cursor right to seek forward (cursor left for back).
> watch video being stopped...
>
>  Is this a known problem?  Is it fixed in cvs already?

-mc 10 is a known problem, the seeking was not.
Seeking is probably not fixed in svn yet, but nasatv stream is known to
have problems with pre8 (video freeze during playback) that are fixed
in svn, so maybe it worths a try.
There are basically 2 problems: huge timestamps that roll into negative
numbers, and loss of precision on timestamps.

I'm working on it, I hope to have it fixed before STS-116 :)

Ciao,
 Roberto