[MPlayer-users] dvd play problem (scrambled)

Adrian Grajdeanu adriang0 at cox.net
Mon Apr 2 22:49:19 CEST 2007

Ok, here is a bit of an update on the problem. Maybe someone can help me
track the issue down...

             desktop       notebook
mplayer       ok            fail
xine          ok            fail
vobcopy       ok*           fail

the ok* means that it failed before I had xine installed, but worked
almost fine after installing xine (brought in some other packages as
well, libdvdcss among them). The failure of vobcopy on the desktop,
before installing xine, was exactly the same as far as symptoms go on
the notebook (same scrambled image and jumpy sound). That while mplayer
worked fine.
These manifestations lead me to believe the following:
-both vobcopy and xine rely on libdvdcss, while mplayer doesn't.
-my problem on the notebook is one of failing to unscramble (both
mplayer and vobcopy/xine).

But other scrambled DVDs play well on the notebook, so what is so
special about this particular one (Revenge of the Sith) and how can I
fix it???

A.