[MPlayer-users] Occasional tinny sound on radio/TV streams.

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Wed Apr 11 02:15:32 CEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 09:51:46AM EDT, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Monday 09 April 2007, cga2000 wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:25:41AM EDT, Tom Brinkman wrote:

Thanks for reading.

> > >    I take it your usin the latest SVN?
>
> > No .. I'm stuck with debian sarge .. and etch has just been
> > released, so you can imagine how ancient my copy of mplayer is.
>
>     You're not "stuck".
> MPlayer dev-SVN-r22963-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
>    (updated this morning)
>
>     http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html    and follow the
> simple instructions under "Downloading MPlayer from Subversion"

I was mostly kidding.  Etch has just come of age after a 2-year wait.

I stuck with the debian (sarge) repositories for a long time .. but now
all the applications that matter to me on that box were built from
source.

Eventually, you run into too many features that are not enabled in the
debian default package that you have to do something.  And I never
really managed to figure out how to make my own .deb's.

>     After the first time, a quick 'svn update' will grab the latest
> src changes, 'make' is real quick as it just recompiles those
> changes.  I use './configure --prefix=/usr' so that mplayer,
> mencoder binaries will be in /usr/bin on my Fedora rawhide (F7).

Sounds like something I should look into.

>     Anyhow, I don't think the occasional "tinny" sound is a mplayer
> bug.  MOF, I haven't even run into it very recently.

Me neither .. It feels like there is some kind of "interference"
colliding with the stream I'm listening to .. although how this could
happen with digital stuff does not make any sense.

I'm with cablevision here in the tri-state area .. maybe someone on the
same loop is doing weird stuff that's messing me up?

--

Thanks,
cga