[MPlayer-users] Some buggy-messages and some suggestions.

Victor Farias nk21507 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 22:50:17 CEST 2007

Hi,

Some time ago, I found some "ugly details" while reading MPlayer's output
messages.

a) The infamous "Audio file file format detected" message when you play
audio-only files.

I think this situation about "Audio file file format..." is not true at all,
because there are several audio-only formats supported in MPlayer that are
not detected as audio-only files.

My suggestion is to separate from "demux_audio.c" all the supported formats
(I can see FLAC, MP3 and WAV) and create different files for each format.

I do not know anything about programming, but I thought about the following
procedure:

- demux_flac.c  -> demuxer for FLAC files.
- demux_mp3.c   -> demuxer for MP3 files.
- demux_wav.c   -> demuxer for WAV files.
- demux_audio.c -> to include shared code (to avoid code duplication if
any).

This way we can avoid the "Audio file file format..." issue and keep
consistency.

b) The difference between multimedia instructions that you can see while
running "configure" (at build stage) and while running MPlayer (at usage
stage):

At build stage you can see:

Checking for kernel support of mmxext ... yes
Checking for kernel support of 3dnowext ... yes

At usage stage you can see:

MMX2: 1
3DNow2: 1

... Also, when you look at MPlayer's output, you can see the following
(minor) difference:

Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx

There you can see the difference between 3DNow2 and 3DNowEx (which is not
even displayed as "3DNowExt").

You can find those lines starting from mplayer.c:2139.

Is this behavior intended?

c) While playing some OGM files, the console will get "flooded" (maybe is
too much to say "flooded") with not-so-important-information:

Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
*[Ogg] Language for -sid 0 is '-slang "English (Formated)"'
*Demuxer info Language changed to English (Formated)
*[Ogg] Language for -sid 1 is '-slang "English (Unformated)"'
*Demuxer info Language changed to English (Unformated)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 96.0 kbit/6.25% (ratio: 12000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [ffvorbis] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg Vorbis decoder)

I do not think all that extra output (see the "*" symbol) is really
important, and could be changed from MSGL_INFO to MSGL_V.

You can find those lines in demux_ogg.c:437 and demuxer.c:974.

I hope you can understand this report.

Bye

* Sorry for my poor english.

--