[MPlayer-users] Volume too loud in converted wav files

Jorge Fábregas jfabregas at onelinkpr.net
Mon Apr 16 02:17:45 CEST 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007 7:55 pm, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> Is there a way I can do the same thing with the VOB files on my hard
> drive?  How would I do it?

Yes, it should work. Did you try playing the VOB file with mplayer? Does it
plays? Does it sound good?  If it works, just replace the dvd part from the
command I gave you and use the VOB file instead.

> And will this take care of the problem of sounds on the DVD being too
> loud when converted to .wav files?

No.  When you play the VOB file...does it sounds loud? You may need to use an
audio filter to lower the sound. Try -af volume=8 (change the value
accordingly).  This is only to lower the volume. If you have serious problems
like audio clipping I guess there's no easy way to fix that (if it's on your
original source).

> Do you mean just the conversions of changing the .wav file to what it
> needs to burn it as an audio CD?

Well, K3b will change the audio file according to the "Red Book"
specifications (that's the standard for Audio CD's). It will manipulate
sampling-rate, bit-depth and it will convert it to stereo if it's mono. That
sort of thing is what it does.  If you want to cut/trim/restauration you'll
need to use someting more specialized like sox or Audacity.

Jorge