[MPlayer-users] Graceful failure when listening to a stream

Walter Belhaven wbelhaven at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 11:38:14 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm using mplayer, rather succesfully in most cases, to record streamed
audio files, using the -ao pcm options.  But, unfortunately, mplayer is
not failing "gracefully" when the audio stream is interrupted due to
net congestion, server problems, or otherwise.  Ideally, if the stream
is interrupted for some number of seconds, I'd like mplayer to just
give up, close the PCM (.wav) file, and exit.  What it seems to be
doing instead, at least when run with a "real" audio output device --
i.e., when I omit the "-ao pcm" stuff and just listen to the stream
live -- is continuously repeat (play) the last few (milli)seconds of
audio, and in some cases it can only be blown away with "kill -9".
When run with "-ao pcm", it just fails to append any new data to the
output file when in that mode.  This behavior is consistent across the
two versions I have on my XP machine: (1) a fairly old build from CVS
under Cygwin (dev-CVS-060401-12:46-3.4.4) and (2) the windows
executable in MPlayer 1.0rc1-3.4.2.  Can anyone suggest how to get a
more graceful failure out of mplayer in this case?

Thanks,
WB