[MPlayer-users] Graceful failure when listening to a stream

info at danielerossi.net info at danielerossi.net
Tue Apr 17 14:47:11 CEST 2007

Walter Belhaven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using mplayer, rather succesfully in most cases, to record streamed
> audio files, using the -ao pcm options.  But, unfortunately, mplayer is
> not failing "gracefully" when the audio stream is interrupted due to
> net congestion, server problems, or otherwise.  Ideally, if the stream
> is interrupted for some number of seconds, I'd like mplayer to just
> give up, close the PCM (.wav) file, and exit.

normally I use -dumpstream option and after I run a second instance of
Mplayer to listen _*or *_convert. The time between my first and second
command line act as a cache. You can write a simple two line script for
that.
It never fails.
Otherwise you can use the -cache otpion like "-cache 8192".
daniele