[MPlayer-users] mplayer and aalib

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 19:33:40 CEST 2007

On 4/17/07, Markus Laux <markus.laux at arcor.de> wrote:
> Joey Parrish schrieb:
> > On 4/16/07, Markus Laux <markus.laux at arcor.de> wrote:
> >> i'm working with mplayer 1.0rc1 for linux. i have now downloaded an
> >> compiled aalib-1.2.
> >> after entering
> >> # mplayer -vo aa test.mpg
> >> "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device."
> >> occurs.
> >> even after recompiling mplayer with and without "--enable-aa" the
> >> outputdriver cannot be found under
> >> # mplayer -vo help
> >> where is my mistake?
> >> thanks for advice, kind regards,
> >
> > Need more info.  That's not nearly enough.  How about the output of
> > mplayer -vo help?
> Available video output drivers:
>         xv      X11/Xv
>         x11     X11 ( XImage/Shm )
>         xover   General X11 driver for overlay capable video output drivers
>         gl      X11 (OpenGL)
>         gl2     X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
>         dga     DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
>         fbdev   Framebuffer Device
>         fbdev2  Framebuffer Device
>         directfb        Direct Framebuffer Device
>         dfbmga  DirectFB / Matrox G200/G400/G450/G550
>         xvidix  X11 (VIDIX)
>         cvidix  console VIDIX
>         null    Null video output
>         mpegpes Mpeg-PES to DVB card
>         yuv4mpeg        yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
>         png     PNG file
>         jpeg    JPEG file
>         tga     Targa output
>         pnm     PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
>         md5sum  md5sum of each frame

> > Also, you should not use --enable-anything unless you know what you
> > are doing.  Autodetection is the default.  If it fails, you should not
> > force it with --enable.
> sure autodetect is the default, but the default didn't work...

Clearly it did.  If aalib is not detected, there's probably a good
reason.  That's what the autodetection is FOR.  Forcing it will not
make it work UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  Which is why you
SHOULD NOT DO IT.  You just end up with a broken binary.  Based on the
output of -vo help, aalib support is clearly not compiled in.

Now, here's what you SHOULD do.
./configure (without any enable options)
Read the file configure.log to see WHY aalib detection failed and fix
it instead of just forcing aalib to be enabled.  If you do not
understand what you see in that file, please post it here and I'll
help you figure it out.

--Joey