[MPlayer-users] Re: Mencoder codec location

Henry Garcia defsyn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:22:01 CEST 2007

> 05.  Indeed there is no codecs.conf file, and most assuredly, on the
> windows
> version I downloaded, there is no unix path like /usr/local/...
> What needs to be in a file called codecs.conf in order to get
> mplayer/mencoder
> to locate the codecs directory?

This is a quote from the Readme.txt file.

codecs/       - MPlayer will look for binary codecs (Real, QuickTime etc.)
> here.
>                 MPlayer will also use codecs installed on the system.

In other words, if you don't have a folder called codecs in the mplayer
folder, make one. Unzip the contents of the Windows Essential codecs into
this folder. You should then have a bunch of dll's directly inside the
codecs folder. Your directory should look something like this: c:\program
files\mplayer\codecs\

You can put the mplayer wherever you would like: the code is written so that
mplayer searches first for the codecs folder relative to its own location.
So if you have the codecs folder as a subfolder of the mplayer folder,  you
should be alright. No need for codecs.conf file.