[MPlayer-users] Re: Default subtitle font

José Filipe jofivigo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 01:34:25 CEST 2007

Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin <at> VM10124.spb.edu> writes:

> I don't know much about OS X.. Not sure if gl is supposed to work there.
>
> Anyway, autoscale=2 doesn't care about widescreen at all - there should
> be no difference between 672x288 and 672x504. And it should be very
> similar to 640x480. If subtitle fonts are too small in 640x480, just
> increase font size.. If they are smaller in 672x288 than in 640x480,
> maybe something is wrong with your font setup or it's quartz driver
> bug...

The macosx driver also gives me the same problems. What can I do to see if it's
a driver issue or a font issue?

> There WILL be difference in subtitle font size between 320x240, 640x480
> and 1280x720 videos with most drivers - there are no options to fix
> that. With some drivers, like x11 or gl subtitles are rendered at real
> screen resolution, not movie resolution - it gives very high quality
> fonts and removes this problem. I don't know how it works in quartz, you
> can test this - start playback of low-resolution (~320x240) video,
> switch to fullscreen and turn on subtitles/OSD. If fonts quality is
> great, everything is well, if it's poor - you can't get high-quality
> subtitles with low-resolution videos (not related to your current
> problem).

Tested it and the OSD font suck. Too small and with really bad quality. It seems
that is scales according to the resolution of the movie.

> All this is related only to OSD and simple text subtitles. DVD vobsubs
> and libass-rendered subtitles are different story.

All my tests are done with SRT subtitles but with ass activated in the config.
So, in my case, don't all the subtitles get processed through libass?