[MPlayer-users] subtitles and refreshing the black area

Pál, János ioannes.pavlvs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:34:56 CEST 2007

Hi!

I've just joined the mailing list. I'm using MPlayer under Windows (2000 at
the moment).
I have a widescreen notebook with 1680x1050 resolution.
I wanted to watch an avi ripped from a TV movie, and the default settings
streched the picture width of course, not keeping the original aspect ratio.
So I looked in the man page, and soon found that I need:
monitorpixelaspect=1
in the config.

I also wanted subtitles, but with these settings they were also restricted
to the movie area. I needed to expand the picture, so the subtitles would
display in fewer rows (as earlier when the picture was streched).
After a little research, I added the line:
vf=expand=:::::1.6:4
in my config (the last number is because the black area on the sides had
these morphing, blurry squares otherwise).

I  thought this would solve all my problems. Unfortunately the black area is
never refreshed, so the fragments of the earlier subtitles always remain on
the sides, leaving more and more irritating, flickering rubbish behind.

Does anyone no the solution to this?

Thanks,
János