[MPlayer-users] How to force SSA subtitles size to constant one ?

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 19:33:20 CEST 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007, Παναγιώτης Κατσαλούλης wrote:
> On 05 Αυγ 2007, at 2:57 ΠΜ, Παναγιώτης
>
> Κατσαλούλης wrote:
> > On 05 Αυγ 2007, at 2:45 ΠΜ, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:

> >> Keeping original font size is the default behaviour. If you want to
> >> proportionally increase or decrease all font sizes, use -ass-font-
> >> scale.
> >
> > "Visible"  font sizes are automatically adjusted, so it is not
> > really the default behaviour ;)
> > In a small video, the font sizes are rather small, as we have
> > already discussed :)
> >
> > OK, so I understand the safest way to make sure that the font sizes
> > are correctly displayed is to set PlayResX & PlayResY to actual
> > movie dimentions ;-)
>
> I did what I mentioned above.
> Set in the SSA file the PlayResX & PlayResY variables to the
> dimensions of the video file.
> So I was expecting the font to have the same size as the actual fonts.
> Unfortunately still this is not the case.
>
> Attached I  have a very small jpeg file which demonstrates this problem.
> The left part has the actual size (as shown in my system) and the
> right is how it is displayed in MPlayer.
> It seems that it is still scaled down.
> The values I have used are
> PlayResX: 656
> PlayResY: 352

The "actual size" was measured in some other application ? Then it will not
always be the same, unless you are using Windows. Libass takes font metrics
from 'os2' truetype table for compatibility with VSFilter. By default every
FreeType application takes 'hhea' metrics, they are different for some fonts.