[MPlayer-users] How to force SSA subtitles size to constant one ?

Παναγιώτης Κατσαλούλ Παναγιώτης Κατσαλούλ
Sat Aug 11 22:09:38 CEST 2007

On 10 Αυγ 2007, at 8:33 ΜΜ, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:

> On Friday 10 August 2007, Παναγιώτης
> Κατσαλούλης wrote:
>>
>> I did what I mentioned above.
>> Set in the SSA file the PlayResX & PlayResY variables to the
>> dimensions of the video file.
>> So I was expecting the font to have the same size as the actual
>> fonts.
>> Unfortunately still this is not the case.
>>
>> Attached I  have a very small jpeg file which demonstrates this
>> problem.
>> The left part has the actual size (as shown in my system) and the
>> right is how it is displayed in MPlayer.
>> It seems that it is still scaled down.
>> The values I have used are
>> PlayResX: 656
>> PlayResY: 352
>
> The "actual size" was measured in some other application ? Then it
> will not
> always be the same, unless you are using Windows. Libass takes font
> metrics
> from 'os2' truetype table for compatibility with VSFilter. By
> default every
> FreeType application takes 'hhea' metrics, they are different for
> some fonts.

The "actual size" is what *any* application is showing, when I select
the font size (i.e. when I say "Arial 24").
Actually, if I disable -ass parameter and just display the subtitles,
mplayer uses  the same font metrics with "other size".

So it *has* to be an issue with -ass.

Anyhow, do you have any idea how can I show fonts with "proper
size" (i.e. what all other applications are showing) with -ass
parameter?
Or any method to "convert" between metrics?

PS: the problem appears is in all major platforms: Linux, Mac,
Windows XP