[MPlayer-users] live555 mplayer mingw and make version

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 01:58:03 CEST 2007

Henry Garcia wrote:

>>>By the way, has anyone succeeded in enabling live555 recently?
>>>
>>>Hank
>>Yes. I'm using svn 24064 with live.2007.07.25 on Windows XP SP2.
>

>Finally, succeeded building mplayer with live555 support--encouraged by
>your
>report that it was actually working.
>
>But had to do 2 things:
>(1) Built live555 with mingw. Followed instructions for Visual Studio, but
>the build failed on "liveMedia" project. So I tried mingw
>./genMakefiles mingw
>make
>cd ..
>rm -fvr /usr/lib/live
>cp -fvr live /usr/lib
>
>That worked and live555 was autodetected.

The instructions at the LIVE555 website do not make it clear that MinGW is
an option in the POSIX category. However, the HOWTO at:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32/contrib/MPlayer-MinGW-Howto.txt
does make it explicit.

>(2) Had to use an old version of make in mingw: make-3.81 bombs.<cut>
>
>Have to do the same thing in building icculus Quake3 source code. For some
>reason the only make program that will compile their code is make-3.79.1.
<cut>

Because MPlayer can use a large number of external libraries, and I have
added support for libraries from aalib to zlib at one time or another, I run
into that from time to time. Most packages that I need for MPlayer can be
built with 3.79.1; some require 3.80. I quickly stopped using 3.81 because
it seemed to cause a lot of problems.

Which reminds me that my MSYS make is 3.79.1 and mingw32-make is 3.81, so I
need to download 3.80 for both, although in the past when I needed 3.80 (to
build MPlayer docs, which I have not done recently),  I ran mingw32-make
3.80 under MSYS and it worked.