[MPlayer-users] about different swscalers

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Aug 21 14:06:25 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 12:17:50PM +0100, vdmsss wrote:
> How very interesting. You're saying in a way that gaussian is to be
> preferred. How about bicubic and spline? Do they also add sharpening
> to the picture?

You can't say that about bicubic/spline in general, since it depends on
the coefficients you use. And unfortunately I do not know what MPlayer
uses exactly.
Testing what kind of artefacts you get with something like "-vf
scale=100:-2,scale=1000:-2" might help to find out, but I think it
favours the sinc and lanzcos scalers since I think they work much better
on content they scaled down themselves than on normal content.
Hm.. didn't someone once have a website that showed the results of
downscaling with one scaler and then up with another?

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger