[MPlayer-users] about different swscalers

infernix infernix at infernix.net
Thu Aug 23 10:59:57 CEST 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hm.. didn't someone once have a website that showed the results of
> downscaling with one scaler and then up with another?

http://www.wieser-web.de/MPlayer/sws1/

Quite dated though; best to run these scaling tests on ones own content:

#!/bin/sh

if [ $# -lt 3 ] ; then
         echo "sws-test <video-file> <start-pos> <vf>"
         echo "example: sws-test abc.avi 10
crop=1920:1080:0:0,scale=1280:720"
         exit 1
fi

for i in `seq 0 10`; do mplayer -vo png -ss $2 -frames 3 -sws $i -vf $3
$1; mv 00000003.png sws$i.png; rm 000*png; done

Personally I do almost all rescaling and sharpening with avisynth (using
WINE), eg. spline36resize + limitedsharpenfaster for sharpening. I feel
that this method looks much better than any of mplayers built-in scalers
and sharpeners. For the sharpener, look at
http://rapidshare.com/files/13282076/Detail_Tests.zip.html for some
comparison screenshots.

I hope that with the new SoC libavfilter code it will become possible to
implement these scaling and sharpening filters straight into
libavcodec/mplayer, but IANAC so I am not sure.