[MPlayer-users] MP4 audio decoding problems

Rince rincebrain at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:18:12 CEST 2007

On 8/25/07, Krzysztof Duchnowski <amidk75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rince pisze:
>
> > I've had issues with a number of MP4 files with h264 video and MP3
> audio.
>
> > A previous thread [1] cited an abnormal codec tag for the audio
> resulting in
> > ffmp3 doing the Wrong Thing with the audio, and mentioned that using -ac
>
> > ffmp3 -demuxer 35 would make it behave correctly - I've found this to be
> > true in my tests.
>
> > I'd like some way to play these files back without having to resort to
> trial
> > and error - was there ever a solution found other than using those flags
>
> > whenever the problem occurs?
>
> Add it to config. Then "ffmp3" will be used whenever mp3 stream will be
> detected but with any other stream mplayer will decide themselves about
> decoder.
>
> --
> Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
> GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
> Konfiguracja UTF-8 dla czytników - http://evil.pl/pip/utf/

Using demuxer=35 is an interesting solution, and while it appears to fix my
immediate problem without any regressions in any files I have laying around,
I can't help but wonder what will happen if I encounter a file with a stream
where demuxer=35 is not appropriate, but the audio codec used to decode it
is ffmp3...

Of course, this presumes you weren't suggesting ac=ffmp3 (which has terrible
side effects, and breaks any files with non-MP3 audio tracks) as a config
option.

Thank you for this workaround, but I wonder if there is an actual fix for
MPlayer available...you shouldn't have to have a config file with
workarounds in order to use mplayer seamlessly on most files. :)

- Rich
<http://www.getthunderbird.com>