[MPlayer-users] Fullscreen on TV = wrong resolution detected?

David Woodfall dave at unrealize.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 17:26:11 CET 2007

On (17:30 03/12/07), David Woodfall <dave at unrealize.co.uk> put forth the proposition:
> Hi, I play movies on my TV (Nvidia 6800GT TV-out) but when I switch to
> fullscreen mode the picture extends past the right and bottom of the
> screen. The only way I can get to see the whole picture is to change
> resolution of monitor to 1024*768 same as TV.

I read now that according to the docs, the correct way to use TV-out with
Mplayer is to use Twinview clone mode. I have found that if X is configured
with 2 screens, xinerama is off and without using Twinview, I can
fullscreen a video on :0.1, but as I said fullscreen only works right if
both screens are using the same resolution.

Isn't this the point of the -display option (which is redundant when using
Twinview)? It would be great if someone could look at this, because Mplayer
should be using info from -display to render fullscreen correctly. Or is this
a problem with video drivers, Xorg or something else?

> Is this because Mplayer is detecting the wrong screen size of 1600x1200
> (usual monitor res) rather than 1024x768 (TV res)?
> MPlayer dev-SVN-r23530-4.1.2
>
> The commands I use:
>
> xrandr -s 1024x768
> mplayer -aid 128 -softvol -dr -alang en -dvd-device /dev/hdc -fs -display :0.1 -ao alsa:device=hw=1,0 dvd://1-99
> xrandr -s 0
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> --
> Blood flows down one leg and up the other.

The meta-Turing test counts a thing as intelligent if it seeks to
devise and apply Turing tests to objects of its own creation.
		-- Lew Mammel, Jr.