[MPlayer-users] GUI versus command prompt for internet radio

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 12:44:02 CET 2007

Thufir wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:09:47 -0800, RC wrote:
>
>> That's just a question of setting up your filemanager to open
>> playlist files by launching mplayer with the -playlist option.  It
>> has nothing to do with MPlayer.
>
> Would expand on that?  When I click on a playlist file, foo.pls for
> streaming audio, and opt to open with mplayer there's no sound.
>
> What do you mean, please, by open with the -playlist option.  Where
> is this option?

When you run MPlayer on the command line, you can pass it any of a long
list of options; the -playlist option is one of them.

When you click on a file to open it in a specific program, what really
happens is that an automatically-generated command line is run with that
file's name on the end.

This command line is generated from a stored path to the program and,
optionally, a stored string of options for that program.

If you have MPlayer as the program to be used to open e.g. an AVI file,
almost certainly the stored command does not have any particular options
specified, because no options are generally necessary for playing that
type of file.

For a playlist-type file, you need to go to the place where the command
line is stored (which differs depending on what environment you are in;
the only place I've ever bothered finding it is in Windows) and add the
'-playlist' option to the stored command like for that file type.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.