[MPlayer-users] mencoder, x264, vorbis, matroska - bad a/v sync problems

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 21:55:16 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm going to bump this thread once more, just to see if I can
solicit any additional info :)

In short, I'm trying to rip tv episodes from DVD to h264+vorbis in
a matroska container.  However, I think this question applies to
anyone trying to use codecs external to mencoder or an external
muxer.

Basically, I can't figure out how to consistently get my audio and
video to sync.  A daily log of what I've tried (including the
mencoder commandline) and the results can be found here:

    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=953788

In short: tried -mc 0, -noskip, -vf harddup and finally encoding a
"dummy" audio track while encoding the video (the dummy audio track
is discarded during final muxing).

Based on my intuition and the feedback I've received, I'm pretty
sure the problems stem from having mixed source material[1].

Regards,
Matt

[1] See "Indentifying source material" here:
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html
    The frame rate on the source material switches between
    24000/1001 and 30000/1001 many times throughout.