[MPlayer-users] video not centered

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Thu Feb 15 12:34:34 CET 2007

info at danielerossi.net wrote:
> Vincent Hirth wrote:
>> I can't get the video to play in the center of the screen with mplayer... Is
>> there a parameter that I can try? At the moment it play at the top left
>> corner.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  - Vincent
>

> I guess simply mplayer.exe -fs yourfile.avi or mplayer -fs yourfile.avi under linux
>
> and you may set -monitoraspect 1.6666 or other option corresponding to
> your montitor aspect (3:4, 16:9 ...).
> If you don't want it in full screen mode I guess is not possible.

it may also have to do with an additional TV-out and xv. At least on my
system it does: on the normal screen I have 1280x960, the TV-out has
1024x768, and it is a clone of the upper left corner of the screen. When
going fullscreen on mplayer with -vo xv (default), the video plays only
in the upper corner, and on the TV the movie fills the entire screen,
and everything is fine. When I want to play a movie fullscreen on the
computer monitor, I have to a) patch the xv that a second parameter à la
-vo xv:full=1 sets the detection to 1280x960 (a really ugly hack) or use
-vo x11.

My conclusion is that querying the resolution from X with this twin-view
enabled returns only the lower of the two used resolutions.

Maybe there's a way to explicitly tell xv which of the monitors to use,
but I didn't bother doing any more research into this matter, as the
current patch works for me.

My graphics card is a GeForce 6600 LE, with Xorg.conf options:

Option 	"TwinView" "true"
Option	"SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
Option	"SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50"
Option	"TwinviewOrientation"	"Clone"
Option	"MetaModes" "1280x960,1024x768; 1152x864,1024x768; 1024x768,1024x768"
Option	"ConnectedMonitor" "crt,tv"
Option	"TVStandard" "PAL-B"
Option	"TVOutFormat" "SVideo"

btw. Does anyone know how to avoid "tearing" on the TV screen, i.e.
sending only a picture when the TV is doing a refresh or something like
it. On horizontal pans this is sometimes quite bothersome...