[MPlayer-users] mencoder: flac audio output?

info at danielerossi.net info at danielerossi.net
Sat Feb 17 13:37:24 CET 2007

> I'm trying to convert this ASF file (just audio) with:
>
>  mencoder stream.asf -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=flac -o output.flac
>
> but Mplayer complains with "Video stream is mandatory!"
>
> I tried:
>
>  mencoder -novideo stream.asf -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=flac -o output.flac
>
> but it get the same message.  Is this possible at all? Any ideas?

To convert with mencoder you should:
1. make a fake blank video of the exact lenght of your audio file (in
windows via avisynth)
2.convert this temporary audio+video stream with mencoder
3. use mplayer with -dumpaudio to demux the stream
4. delete temporary files.

To convert with flac tools you can:
1.use the command line flac.exe
(http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tools_flac.html#usage)
2. or GUI provided by Foobar
*in one step.

*Converting from a lossy to a loseless codec will not increase quality.
Ogg vorbis could be a good opensource alternative.
DR