[MPlayer-users] Compiling mplayer for powerpc 440 with fpu

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Feb 21 00:19:39 CET 2007

On Tuesday, 20 February 2007 at 14:58, Patrice Bouchand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using fedora core 6 for ppc on a powerpc 440 processor with fpu. gcc
> release is 4.1.1 . I'm trying to find the right mcpu option to get the best
> perfomance, and I get this oddity:
>
> - When I do not specify any -mcpu option, mplayer can play a small mpeg with no problem.
> - When I specify -mcpu=440fp, the same mpeg does not play smoothly.
>
> Can someone bring me some lights about the best gcc option to compile
> mplayer for powerpc 440 target ?

Apparently -mcpu=440fp is the one. However, it's possible, that GCC
"optimizations" actually make the code slower.

Are you compiling it in 32bit or 64bit mode?

MPlayer's configure script doesn't know about the 440 model so I guess
generic optimizations are used. Please include configure.log, config.mak
and `cat /proc/cpuinfo` so that we can add support.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://mplayerhq.hu http://rpm.livna.org