Re: [MPlayer-users] build mplayer for multiple distributions

vongillus@libertysurf.fr vongillus at libertysurf.fr
Thu Feb 22 09:48:28 CET 2007

---------- Initial Header -----------

From      : mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
To          : "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests,
bug reports" <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Cc          :
Date      : Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:46:49 -0400
Subject : Re: [MPlayer-users] build mplayer for multiple
distributions

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 04:58:38PM +0100, vongillus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have about 150 Linux boxes with different distributions
(RedHat 7.3
> to 9, Suse 9.3 to 10.2), and I would like to build
mplayer, mencoder
> with GUI so that I can put it on a NFS server and
everybody would be
> able to use it.
>
> So, I thought that the best solution would be to build as
static
> version of mplayer.
>
> My question is : is it the best solution to build a static
version of
> Mplayer ? If not, is there another way ?
>
> Thank you !

You will find that it's not easy to build a static version
of mplayer.
1) mplayer needs many libraries and sometime your
distribution provides some
of them only as shared library causing failure.
2) it could be that some libraries can only be uses as
shared (libdvdcss), so
failure again.

But if you disable some stuff may be you can have a static
mplayer.

Another possible way to proceed is to compile mplayer for
every distribution you
have and make a script called 'mplayer' that check the
ditribution of the machine
you are on and start the appropriate binary.
It is also possible that mplayer compiled on RedHat 7.3 will
also run on newer
distribution of RedHat reducing the number of compilations.
But a recent mplayer compiled on a old system will not have
some features because
on the old system it will not find recent libraries it requires.

And don't forget to use --enable-runtime-cpudetection

Ciao
Giacomo