[MPlayer-users] build mplayer for multiple distributions

Piotr Stachura albert1 at autocom.pl
Thu Feb 22 12:00:35 CET 2007

Dnia czwartek, 22 lutego 2007, vongillus at libertysurf.fr napisał:
> You will find that it's not easy to build a static version
> of mplayer.
> 1) mplayer needs many libraries and sometime your
> distribution provides some
> of them only as shared library causing failure.
> 2) it could be that some libraries can only be uses as
> shared (libdvdcss), so
> failure again.
>
> But if you disable some stuff may be you can have a static
> mplayer.
>
> Another possible way to proceed is to compile mplayer for
> every distribution you
> have and make a script called 'mplayer' that check the
> ditribution of the machine
> you are on and start the appropriate binary.

I found that scilab application with binary distribution making something
similar. When you download binary, you have to run "make" that looks into
your system, locate libraries and create properity script (with pathes and
other (un)needed stuff). So it's possible to make one binary for "all"
systems.
--
Piotr Stachura