[MPlayer-users] problem playing videos without window borders / xinerama (FC6)

Patrick White patrick.j.white at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:34:42 CET 2007

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster...

I have mplayer-1.0-58_r21812 installed via rpm from the atrpms site.
The system I am running is using Fedora Core 6, using a 64 bit kernel.

Now I have a few questions, kind of related:

(1)

I am trying to get a movie to span accross 2 monitors and in
fullscreen mode. I thought that this was done with the xinerama
option, however it doesn't work.

i use this command:

$mplayer bravia.mov -xineramascreen -2 -fstype -fullscreen

as is found in the man pages. If i use 1 or 2  i can place it direct
on the first or second display (2nd display with 2), however -1 or -2
will only put the video on the first display, and none of these are in
fullscreen mode either. I figure I am just putting in the wrong
arguements, so I was hoping if anyone knew the correct ones?

(2)

I am trying to get mplayer to play four vidoes on the same monitor at
once in a 2x2 grid. I call them at the same time with a script, two of
the four calls in the script is as follows:

mplayer -input file=/tmp/mfifo2 -noborder -loop 0 -geometry
630x480+0+540 /a/data/Monsters.avi \
>/dev/null 2>/dev/null &

mplayer -input file=/tmp/mfifo3 -noborder -loop 0 -geometry
630x480+640+540 /a/data/tmp/movies/high_quicktime.mov \
>/dev/null 2>/dev/null &

so i use these files in tmp for the control command line input, and
dump the status output to null. I am using the -noborder command to
try to get each window to display without the border around the bottom
three sides and the window bar on the top.

Is this feature broken or can someone lead me along here as well?

Thanks a ton in advance for any help, and for those who took the time
to read this long post/question.

Patrick