[MPlayer-users] problem playing videos without window borders / xinerama (FC6)

Morris Beverly morrisb at avpresentations.com
Fri Jan 26 18:21:25 CET 2007

Patrick White wrote:
> I am trying to get a movie to span accross 2 monitors and in
> fullscreen mode. I thought that this was done with the xinerama
> option, however it doesn't work.
>
> i use this command:
>
> $mplayer bravia.mov -xineramascreen -2 -fstype -fullscreen
>
> as is found in the man pages. If i use 1 or 2  i can place it direct
> on the first or second display (2nd display with 2), however -1 or -2
> will only put the video on the first display, and none of these are in
> fullscreen mode either. I figure I am just putting in the wrong
> arguements, so I was hoping if anyone knew the correct ones?

I use:   mplayer -fs -xineramascreen -2  movie.avi    (I also throw in
-idle -fixed-vo -aspect and a couple others but the basic command should
work fine)

You may not have twinview set up properly (assuming you're using an
nvidia card).  Make sure you're using twinview, or whatever ATI calls it
if you're using that, rather than 2 independent X screens.  With
twinview, you should have a section something like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
    Option "MetaModes" "1024x768,1024x768; 800x600,800x600; 1024x768,
null; 800x600, null"
    Option "TwinView"
EndSection

I also monkey'd around with some of the settings that had to do with how
windows are maximized (using KDE and Mandriva under "configure your
desktop"), but I'm not sure if that was required.

hth,

morris