[MPlayer-users] problem playing videos without window

Patrick White patrick at white.ca
Tue Jan 30 19:56:47 CET 2007

>From: Morris Beverly <morrisb at avpresentations.com>
>
> Patrick White wrote:
> > I am trying to get a movie to span accross multiple monitors and in
> > fullscreen mode. I thought that this was done with the xinerama
> > option, however it doesn't work.
> >
> > i use this command:
> >
> > $mplayer bravia.mov -xineramascreen -2 -fstype -fullscreen
> >
> > as is found in the man pages. If i use 1 or 2  i can place it direct
> > on the first or second display (2nd display with 2), however -1 or -2
> > will only put the video on the first display, and none of these are in
> > fullscreen mode either. I figure I am just putting in the wrong
> > arguements, so I was hoping if anyone knew the correct ones?
> >

> I use:   mplayer -fs -xineramascreen -2  movie.avi    (I also throw in
> -idle -fixed-vo -aspect and a couple others but the basic command should
> work fine)
>
> You may not have twinview set up properly (assuming you're using an
> nvidia card).  Make sure you're using twinview, or whatever ATI calls it
> if you're using that, rather than 2 independent X screens.  With
> twinview, you should have a section something like this:
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier "device1"
>     BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series"
>     Driver "nvidia"
>     Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
>     Option "MetaModes" "1024x768,1024x768; 800x600,800x600; 1024x768,
> null; 800x600, null"
>     Option "TwinView"
> EndSection
>
> I also monkey'd around with some of the settings that had to do with how
> windows are maximized (using KDE and Mandriva under "configure your
> desktop"), but I'm not sure if that was required.
>
> hth,
>
> morris

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I actually have 4 monitors now (I did have
2, but meant four). The problem then is that Twin View isn't supported
for more than 2 monitors. Is there anything else that I can do? Is
this feature just not working right anymore?

I am indeed using a nvidia quadro 440.

And any word on the -noborder option? Are both of these half broken
right now maybe? I have googled this stuff to death but can't seem to
get anywhere.

Thanks everyone

Patrick