[MPlayer-users] You guys ROCK!!!

CD Baric cdbaric at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 04:59:41 CEST 2007

Well, my NEC 19" CRT finally gave up the ghost - didn't exactly die
but the twitching and descending image height finally made me make a
change.

I purchased an Acer 22" LCD panel with 1680 X 1050 resolution - very
inexpensive, actually less than I paid for my AccuSync 95F, complete
with a 3 year warranty.

PROBLEM: All the videos I had ripped (movies, TV, etc) all looked
great but everbody was slighter fatter. I started with the man pages
without too much joy and then I went for the online HTML docs and
still no love. I am sure the information is there somewhere, I just
didn't know where to look or what title to look under.

Long story short, I was reviewing my /usr/local/mplayer/mplayer.conf
and came across  monitor aspect. I did a quick calculation and changed
it from 4:5 to 1.5 and Joy of Joys all is well.

I am running mplayer RC1 in a freshly installed Slackware 12 with a
2.6.21.5 kernel on an AMD Athlon 2400+ (runs at ~2.0 GHz).

All my videos that I ripped at full resolution using mencoder look
fantastic even at full screen mode - many times the limiting factor is
tthe quality of the originating source - DVD.

Just wanted to drop by and say Thanks for mplayer and Thanks for mencoder.

One last thought - when can we expect mplayer 1.0? No Pressure! 8^)

Sincerely,

CD 'Bar' Baric