[MPlayer-users] Analyzing media streams

Fredrik Johansson frejo221 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 09:55:42 CEST 2007

Ahh, you where fast! :)

Thank you very much for your help so far. midentify was a good tip, I
will look into that. I've tried to reply to all of you in the same
email below. And I will probably be back ;)

Regards,
Fredrik

>>Video (mostly):
>>* Service method (DVB, ATSC etc)
>>

>easy to add

easy to add how? I have a program that lets me see all the psi's. That
allows me to identify a stream as a DVB stream. But how do I identify
an ATSC stream? Which specfic "prints" does that leave on the mpeg ts?

>>* File format (TS, ES, Program stream etc)
>>* Video encoding
>>

>codec?

I want to know if the video is mpeg-1, mpeg-2, h264 or something else.

>* The video frame rate
>* Average video bitrate
>* Aspect ratio
>* Color system
>

>?? No idea what you mean. Colour space? Strictly speaking that is a
>property of the decoder you are using, not of the file itself. Though
>there are of course choices that make more or less sense. mplayer -v
>should say something about it, though very well hidden
>(vo_config_request etc. IIRC).

What I mean by color system is if it's PAL or NTSC. I'm not sure how
ATSC fits into this, is that an "extension" to NTSC? Or should ATSC be
compaired at the same level as DVB?