[MPlayer-users] FWD: Feature request

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jul 20 12:43:00 CEST 2007

KRS wrote:

> Sorry to disturb you here (and sorry for my english), but is ther a
> place to post feature request?

If you have the ability to code it, then mplayer-dev-eng would be
appropriate. Otherwise, mplayer-users is probably the best place.

> I think Mplayer is lacking in playback ergonomics. Hers my request:
>
> -allows to play step by step in pause mode (forward and backward,
> only forward frame by frame is supported)

Backward playback is something I've only ever seen in one player (which
may in fact have been QuickTime - my memory is fuzzy, this was long
enough ago that I was running AOL under Win9x), and now that I've
learned something about how video compression is done I don't know how
it's even technically possible for most file formats without extensive
buffering and massive CPU load.

IOW, though it might be nice, this one is unlikely.

> -set the speed of the playback(1/2x, 1.5x, 2x, 4x, 16x)

This can already be done, from 1/100th up to 100x. Read the man page on
the -speed option.

> -Audio pitch automatically corrected if playback speed-up or down
> (voices are comprehensible even in 2x)

I have not noticed pitch differences when playing too-fast-by-default
files slowed down with the -speed option.

> To see thes features in action, try Quicktime on a Mac, it's really
> comfortable. But quicktime is quicktime...
>
> Ha, and, wath about a donation system with a list of selected new
> feature? (The most wanted (by donation) feature is the first to be
> developped)

That's not the way open-source development (in projects small enough
that they do not have full-time paid developers) works. People code what
they're interested in coding. The prospect of being paid may get some
people more interested in a given feature or problem, but it's certainly
not the only factor and will not necessarily be enough in any case.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.