[MPlayer-users] flac files not showing bitrates, throwing off timing in statusline etc.

SciFi sci-fi at hush.ai
Sun Jul 22 04:54:53 CEST 2007

Hi,

Playing lots of flac files, I've been seeing some computation errors
in the bitrates which then turn into incorrect lengths of songs etc.

[...]
DECAUDIO: AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 64.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 8000->176400)
[                                       ^^^^^^^^^               ^^^^  ^^^^^^ ]
DECAUDIO: Selected audio codec: [ffflac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg FLAC audio
decoder)
[...]
STATUSLINE: A:  32.7 (32.6) of 4763.0 ( 1:19:23.0)  0.7%
[               ^^^^  ^^^^     ^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^       ]

The song is actually 05m13.58s (313.58s) according to its cue sheet.
And the realtime seconds-counter (right after A: on the STATUSLINE)
jumps way too fast while playing.

This of course is throwing-off the GUIs such as MPlayerOSX.  ;)

I can barely remember this was working but it was quite some time
ago (weeks & months) i.e. recent changes probably have affected this
area of mplayer.  I believe most flac files were using a bitrate way
over 8000, but the 176400 value is probably not right either (IIUC
depending on final compression ratio of each track, flacs are
roughly half of the CD bitrate of 16*44100*2).

I tried running midentify for the same file:
$ midentify 01*
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2

...that's all it printed...

If we could fix the bitrate computation perhaps by 'assuming' a
value if it's missing in the file's headers, I think the rest will
fall into place.  But I don't know where to begin looking (I tried
looking into decaudio.c then into flac.c but don't see how it's
being parsed & passed back around, even with -msglevel 9 set for
those certain modules, I'm not seeing 'Samplerate:' as I think it
should print from flac.c's dump_headers function).  And ISTR other
audio formats are having similar troubles currently, so this could
be widespread.  This is with current svn for both ffmpeg & mplayer
which is 9777 & 23839 as I type/send this msg.

Come to think, I bet this was working when mplayer was not using
ffmpeg's flac decoder but was using the 'official' external lib from
the Xiph folks (libFLAC).  Boy I wish we could still do that somehow
just to see where this bug is (I've actually been tracking xiph's
svn version of flac now designated as 1.2.0).

I'm testing everything now on a new 24-inch intel-based iMac core2
duo running darwin/osx 10.4.10 and latest xcode etc.  I'm not
specifying any xFLAGS other than '-Os' (like Apple does for most of
their binaries).

Thanks for any help.  It's the little things that kinda irk ya y'know.  ;)