[MPlayer-users] flac files not showing bitrates, throwing off timing in statusline etc.

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sun Jul 22 12:36:54 CEST 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, SciFi wrote:

> I can barely remember this was working but it was quite some time
> ago (weeks & months) i.e. recent changes probably have affected this
> area of mplayer.  I believe most flac files were using a bitrate way
> over 8000, but the 176400 value is probably not right either (IIUC
> depending on final compression ratio of each track, flacs are
> roughly half of the CD bitrate of 16*44100*2).

It never worked as far as determining the correct bitrate for a given
flac file. But libavcodec's default bitrate for codecs that don't set one
on their own used to be 800kbps, which just happened to be close to the
average you get from flac on typical CD-ish music.

Can you even store bitrate in a flac header? I thought it had to be
derived from filesize and duration (if the source is a file).

--Loren Merritt