[MPlayer-users] Subtitles drawn by -ass overlap when rendered into black borders produced by -vf expand

Marcus Blumhagen marcus.blumhagen at web.de
Tue Jul 24 12:40:46 CEST 2007

Hi,

I want subtitles to be drawn in black borders when watching a >4:3
(i.e. 16:9) movie (without black borders of its own) on a 4:3 TV. This
works fine by using the following command line:

	$ mplayer -ass -slang ger -vf expand=::::1:4/3,ass movie.mkv

But I also want some postprocessing and noise filtering before, so the
desired command line looks like this:

	$ mplayer -ass -slang ger -vf pp=ac/al,hqdn3d=3:2:3:3,expand=::::1:4/3,ass movie.mkv

Now the subtitles are still drawn in the black borders but they are
not cleared after their duration time, so the following subtitles get
drawn over the previous ones. But it only happens when using the -ass
option. Using the normal subtitle rendering all is fine.

I already found that this can be circumvented by reordering the video
filters as follows:

	$ mplayer -ass -slang ger -vf expand=::::1:4/3,ass,pp=ac/al,hqdn3d=3:2:3:3 movie.mkv

Now the subtitles are cleared from the black borders before a new one
is drawn, but the CPU load is increased significantly, because the pp
and hqdn3d filter do their work on the larger image. Although I could
live with that, I find that subotpimal, since there is no real sense
in pp-ing and hqdn3d-ing the black borders containing only the
subtitles.

So I'd like to know whether it is possible to make -ass work the same
as the normal subtitle renderer regarding the video filter order. I
searched the man page for anything about ass or sub.*font, but haven't
found the desired info. I also searched through this list, but I seem
to be the only one experiencing this, or my filter combination is
unique ;).

Here are some inforamtions I guess can be of help. I am running the
latest svn version of mplayer (revision 23851) compiled on my Debian
Etch box. Support for fontconfig (2.4.2-1.2) and freetype
(2.2.1-5+etch1) are compiled in. Looking at the output of configure I
see that also support for bitmap fonts was autoenabled as well as
SSA/ASS. There were no --enable-* switches set during comilation but
some --disable-*:

	./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer
	--with-extraincdir=/usr/include:/usr/include/jack
	--with-extralibdir=/usr/lib/libjack0.100.0-0 --disable-menu
	--disable-vidix-external --disable-vidix-internal --disable-dga
	--disable-aa --disable-xmga --disable-ggi --disable-mga
	--disable-xinerama --disable-fbdev --disable-tga --disable-pnm
	--disable-openal --disable-sdl --disable-directfb --disable-gif
	--disable-jpeg --disable-svga --disable-tv --disable-arts
	--disable-esd --disable-polyp --disable-nas --disable-sgiaudio
	--disable-sunaudio --disable-win32waveout --charset=utf8
	--disable-ossaudio --disable-xvmc --disable-dvbhead --disable-dvb
	--disable-caca --language=en,de

I also moved my custom ~/.mplayer files out of the way to
check the default config but the problem remains.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Kind regards and a big "THANK YOU!" for this great piece of software
:)
--
Marcus Blumhagen

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move
in the opposite direction."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein